Thursday, February 23, 2006

 

Day 6

We get back to orientation and leave after 15 minutes of listening to who we call Ed the Drunk talking about life in Australia and how everyone swears at everyone else regularly in a good way. He called everyone Ye Old Bastards and explained some Australian slang on which the other teachers didn’t even agree. We walked out and headed to the student union to get our passport pictures taken for our student IDs, we wait in line and they take the pictures. The Chinese guy at the booth tries to sell Leor a picture of the guy before him thinking he was that guy. So I guess it’s true what they say that to Chinese people we all look alike because this guy didn’t at ALL look like Leor. We head back to orientation and follow them for the “Sausage Sizzle”. Great, my first week in Australia and they’re already using terms that make me shake in my flip flops. When we get there after following people who weren’t even going in the right direction, we wait in line to receive hot dogs and onions with ketchup and mustard. I grab the hot dog and pass it on to Leor and I eat my onion with ketchup and mustard sandwich slowly and painfully. So this is what it’s come down to… During the next couple of hours of orientation we’re given important information on the whole enrolment process and we are finally sent home. On our way back, we stop at Pizza Haven to pick up two pies. We head back to the hostel, starving, and collapse on our beds as we devour the pizza in what seemed to be a second. One of the best pizzas I ever tasted because I was starving. We watched some TV, filled out the forms, whined about the internet having disappeared once again, and got some sleep.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?