Thursday, February 23, 2006


Day 2

Hours go by and finally morning breaks. The guy under my bunk gets up, puts on his jeans and leaves the room. I sit up in my bed and Leor gets up on his. There was only one thing I could say to him, “we gotta get out of here”. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, get back to our room, get dressed, and move my valuable shit into a locker in the front. We meet the second guy in our room, his name is John and he directs us how to get to the University. So it’s 8am and we go down to pay for our rooms. I still don’t understand why I have to pay for what I just went through. We leave the hostel finally breathing normal air but at 36 degrees Celsius. We walked in the general direction up King street to get to the University of Sydney. I’m feeling messed up because I see cars driving on the wrong side of the road, the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car and the fucking walking sign poles are making weird Mario brothers 3 noises everytime it’s safe to walk, and bomb ticking noises everytime it’s not. After almost getting hit by a car a couple of times on the way down, we finally get to the University of Sydney gates and ask the parking guy where we’re supposed to go. Surprise, it’s not like McGill where they make you fill out forms and send you to other departments, he actually points us in the direction of the building and we follow his instructions. We get to the International Office but we’re early, it opens at 9. I don’t give a shit, I’m just happy to be out of the hostel and in student territory. It’s 9:15 and the doors finally open. We go in and we’re given some information about where to go for orientation but it starts at 10:30 so we went to the Royal hotel to check it out. The guy tells us all the rooms are booked so pretty much we’re fucked and need to find a place before we’re stuck at the abbey forever. We went to a nearby bench and sat down for about 30 minutes just to pass time. Finally it’s 10:15 so we make our way to the orientation. At the orientation, a woman explains to us what we already know, typical of a university arrival session. On our way out we made our way back to the international office to look up places to live on the university website. We got two leads, each live 5 minutes away in opposite directions. We go to the first house for 2pm, the owner’s name is Cherry. We’re shown some rooms in the shared house varying in price from 130 per week to 150 per week. We’re still unsure as there’s no internet and there was a dead cockroach in what would have been Leors room (Leor argues this would have been mine). So we leave but tell her we might get back to her. We follow our next lead to a shared house with wireless and Ethernet internet. The owner’s name is Tai and he greets us nicely. We love the place and are ready to sign for it but he informs us that it is only available on 6 or 12 month leases and we are only there for 4 months. So we ask him to check with the seller to see if he can allow 4 months and he says we should get back to him at 8:30pm. We head back to the hostel, hopeful, wishful but still unhappy about where we currently live, and lie down in bed to get some rest. The jet lag is kicking in, I pass out for 2 hours. When I wake up I’m dazed and confused, Leor says he called Tai and Tai sold one of the two rooms to a Chinese girl for a 1 year lease so the place is unavailable now. I think I was sad but I was too tired to express it, I just said OK, went to the bathroom and went back to bed.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?